Seafront Chapel Built - Old Leigh fisherman Michael Tomlin who preached the gospel all over south-east Essex, gained a new chapel in 1861. A large brick building appeared on Eastern Esplanade just next door to the original Castle public house; today the same site is now occupied by the Sea Life Centre.
The Elms - The Elms Pub on London Road started life as a farm. The house was built in 1861, and nearby stood a fine elm called Ellen's or Adam's Elm, which measured about thirty feet in circumference. It disappeared in the 1830s but gave its name to the farm, subsequently the hotel and now the pub.