Gas lighting was introduced on the pier in 1896.
Liquor License for the Carlton Pub - The Carlton has existed in Leigh-on-Sea, on the Broadway, as a hostelry for many years, even back maybe to Elizabethan times, but it wasn't until August 1896 it was granted it's first Liquor License. Designed with the same intentions as the Plough in Westcliff, built in 1880, as a coaching house. The rear of The Carlton has extensive stabling accommodation, and no doubt served as a hotel too.
New Theatre Built - Empire Theatre was built on the site of the old town hall (left) on Alexandra Street…….in 1920 it became Rivioli Cinema….then in 1961 it was renamed ABC….Today it is a redundant building that is no doubt starting a new life in a similar guise to those that tread before.
Westcliff Baptist Church - was founded in 1896 by Rev.William Frith, and met in an iron building on the S. side of Station Road, Westcliff. In 1902 the church moved to a new building in Valkyrie Road, but after only a few months "there was a split there" . The church in Valkyrie Road was put up for sale; it became occupied by Westcliff Free Evangelical Church, much later to become the HARP homeless centre. For a time after leaving Valkyrie Road, services were held in the home of Mrs Binstead of Oakhurst, Crowstone Road, Westcliff, and on 20 May 1903 Westcliff Park Tabernacle was opened in an iron building on the N. side of London Road opp. Crowstone Road. A plot of land on the S. side of London Road [the present site] was purchased from the Chalkwell Hall Trust in 1914 for the erection of a permanent church building.