Brightwells - John Brightwell started a second term as Mayor of Southend in 1905. His name becoming famous too because of the department store Brightwells established in the south section of High Street. The building still stands opposite the Royals, but the department store departed in the 70's.
Leigh Road School Expands - Situated at the junction of Hamlet Court Road and London Road, this relatively new school being built in 1896, acquired in 1905 a new infants school which would sit to the rear of the main school. In later years the school became the Hamlet Court County School, but today is no more in its place is a car park and new housing. The original retaining walls still exist around the perimeter.
Formation of Southend Harriers - now Southend-on-Sea Athletic Club. The first cross country run took place on 7th October 1905. Alderman Walter Robert King, JP, took the reigns as the very first club President. Today the club runs as Southend Athletic Club and is based at Garon's Park the town's premier sporting venue.
All Businesses Together - 1905 saw the inauguration of the Southend, Westcliff and District Chamber of Trade. By 1947 its membership had reached 1,158.
The Arches, Western Esplanade, built - One of the better additions to the seafront was the Arches built beneath Palmeira Parade. originally conceived as coach houses for the buildings above. The need for these became less warranted as the cafes replaced them and provided this part of the seafront a much needed focus. These individual cafes survive today and are very popular for locals and visitors alike.
Reverend Benjamin Waugh - A famous Victorian Social Reformer and founder of the NSPCC retired, in 1905, to Westcliff, where he died three years later. A blue plaque in Runwell Terrace marks his residency there.
Naval Ship Beached off Shoebury - Large crowds turned up to watch a couple of tugs from Sheerness try and unbeach HMS King Alfred an armoured cruiser, on Friday 5th May 1905.
Shoebury Fire Brigade Formed.