Southend Timeline

Bringing Your Memories Back to Life

1907
News

JANUARY King's Hall Opens in Westcliff - Designed as an entertainment venue for plenty of variety stage acts opened 7th January 1907. This cinema was constructed to provide an entertainment venue for the western side of the town in Hamlet Court Road.  The dome ceiling was of Cloisonne glass, inlaid with the names of famous composers.  By 1909 it had developed into a full time cinema.  It could seat 800.  It was struck by fire in March 1921 but opened again a couple of years later. In January 1940 it closed as a cinema, and was used for the duration of the war as a dance hall for the troops.  The venue today has long disappeared; but can be imagined when standing in the north section of Hamlet Court Road, there is a large shop front that travels from the road and goes round into and alley.  The alley now leads to Ceylon Road car park, but this arched passageway would have lead to the cinema.

MARCH Thorpe Hall Golf Club/Course Formed - The first formal competition was played on 23rd March 1907.

Name Changes Rejected - An attempt to change Southend's name to Thamesmouth was rejected. As well as Shoebury Council's proposal to change the name of Shoeburyness to Shoeburyness-on-Sea. 

JULY New Newspaper - A brand new newspaper hit Southend's streets on 6th July 1907.  The Southend and Westcliff Graphic.  The paper attempted to apply the Metropolitan standards to a local edition, with a bigger emphasis on the illustrations.

 

Disease Free Zone - Leigh-on-Sea always classed itself as the healthy part of the coastline.  In 1907 it was proud to boast that only ten cases of infectious diseases were recorded in town for the year.

First Southend to Shoebury Bus Service

New School - The town's population of younger Bournemouth Park Road Schoolchildren was expanding.  The need for sizeable infants and juniors was never so great, to ease this pressure Bournemouth Park Road School opened in 1907 for over 1000 pupils.  

NOVEMBER Westcliff Tennis Club Formed - The formation of the club was announced on November 27 1907.  Perhaps the most remarkable feature of the club down the years has been the success of its lady players.

By the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 they had won the Essex Senior Cup 13 times.  During the war years, the courts were hit twice by high- explosive bombs.

 

 

 

DECEMBER Leigh Infant School Opens - The school opened on December 13, 1907 

DECEMBER Pier Damaged - During a fierce storm in December, a barge 'Robert' of Stanford-le-Hope, laden with hay broke it's mooring west of the pier and was taken with the winds cutting a hole into the pier near the old pier head.

 

 

Sport

 

 

1907/08 Season

Prelim - Home - East Ham

Qual 1- Away - Clapton

Qual 2 - Home - Ilford

Qual 3 - Away - Clapton Orient

Replay - Home - Clapton Orient

Qual 4 - Home - 4th King's R Rifles

Qual 5 - Away - Carlisle

3-0

1-0

3-1

1-1

3-1

6-0

0-4

Where to now?

Recent Photos