Eagle's New Look - The Spread Eagle was part of the original hamlet of Prittlewell in Victoria Avenue. 1923 saw a reconstruction making the building more recognisable to today. With the recent firs at the Golden Eagle (2008) The Spread remains the key pub especially for Blue's fans.
6th December 1923
King George V visited Southend (Yachting Week) again in 1923 and was just as memorable as his 1921 visit, but for all the wrong reasons, “Britannia” ran aground just inside the West Shoebury Buoy and right in front of the “London Belle” who was carrying a large number of spectators many of them local yachtsmen who were not racing that day and were no doubt saying to themselves “for goodness sake tack!” contrary to what some feared this event was not the end of Southend Yachting Week which thrived for many more years to come.
Saxon Finds - During the building of Cuckoo Corner, the junction joining principally Prince's Avenue with Victoria Avenue, excavations were carried out uncovering a number of Saxon relics, something future years would prove fruitful for around this area.
A Cricketer Born - Trevor Edward Bailey (born 3 December 1923 in Westcliff-on-Sea) and became an English Test Cricketer. He was educated at Alleyn Court School in Westcliff-on-Sea before going to Dulwich College and Cambridge University. He is the only player since the Second World War to score more than 2,000 runs in a season and take 100 wickets, a feat he achieved in 1959, and he achieved the all-rounders' double of 1000 runs and 100 wickets in a season eight times, a post-WWII record he shares with Fred Titmus. He was selected as one of the five Wisden Cricketers of the Year in 1950.
The Overcliff Hotel Opened
Fire at Deluxe - Centrally located just off Victoria Circus, this cinema caught fire mid performance spilling its audience on to the street on 7th August 1923. Much of the building was not insured the loss borne by the owner. The cinema never reopened, it did however provide a venue for indoor golf, and prior to demolition in 1936, a fund collection centre for Southend Hospital. Dixons extended there store into the rebuild, much later to become WH Smiths.