Southend Timeline

Bringing Your Memories Back to Life

                                           1933

First Baby Born - The new General Hospital was settling in providing a quality medical service to the town's population, it was nicely rcorded on 2nd February the hospital welcomed its very first baby born.

Borough Population: 130,000

Rateable Value: £1,381,269

Area: 10,284 acres 

Joining the Line - 1933 was a significant year for the ward of Chalkwell.  Located between Leigh and Westcliff, an affluenChalkwell Stationt area which is graced with a significant park and now its very own rail station.  Located on the 'London Tilbury and Southend' Line, the station became an essential stop off for the cricket in the park, and commuters moving into the many houses close by. The station formally opened on 11th September 1933, a short trip, but mainly coastal route, from Leigh, and at the point as the line turned in land and started the incline to Westcliff.  The station would also prove handy for trippers looking for a more sedate beach experience, or a hearty jaunt along the prom towards the pier.


View Larger Map

 

 

 

Cricket at Chalkwell - As mentioned above, although a little late to benefit this cricket season, the Essex 1st XI used Chalkwell Park for first time in 1933.   This continued through until the 70’s, with a sea-saw of fixtures between Southchurch Park ensuing.   Essex played their last match on the ground in 1976, although it is still used by Westcliff-on-Sea CC.

 

 

 

Greyhounds Arrive - In May the Southend Stadium opened on the site of the old brickworks in Grainger Road.  Built by a private company Southend Stadium Ltd for the purpose of racing Greyhounds, but later home to Southend United.  A Speedway track arrived in 1948.  it could accommodate 25,000 people, with some 8,000 under stadium cover.  The greyhound track is 500 yds in length.  The site today is mainly a shopping centre with Matalan and Mecca Bingo taking over.

 

The Standard Guide -

Produced by local newspaper 'The Southend Standard'. Pocket sized and ideal for the visitor wanting to know more about the area.

 

 

 

 

 

New Map - Southend Borough Council developed a ward map in 1933, showing 11 wards, including Pier Ward and Saint Clement's Ward, both no longer exist. 

Bandstanders get Cover - The popularity of the bandstand as a feature on Southend's cliff top led to a need to provide more and more facilities to the growing audiences.  1933 saw all-weather accommodation and cover for the thousands of music lovers on 8th April be formally opened by Mayor Tweedy-Smith.

Shorefields Purchased - Even by 1933 large plots in the town were still in private ownership, this year the corporation purchased Shorefields for £14,500. Subsequent powers to purchase intervening housing was acquired to enable the extension of the cliffs and the execution of much needed road improvements.

Boat Hits Pier Again -  'Pier closed for repairs'... but alright for Easter! 150-ton barge 'Matilda Upton' crashes into Southend Pier at height of great gale." Moored off Westcliff, the barge dragged it's anchor and ploughed into the pier, two crewmen on board escaped by jumping onto the pier causeway at the moment of impact.  They went back aboard to rescue the cat locked in the bosun's quarters.  The cost of the damage to the pier was estimated at £5,000.

"PIER CLOSED FOR REPAIRS"

 

 

 The Borough Expands - Eastwoodbury, Eastwood and Shoebury were incorporated into the Borough.  Raising the population to around 130,000.

Where to now?