The NHS Comes to Southend - In July 1948 local hospitals were being handed over to the Ministry of Health as part of the newly-formed NHS. This included: Rochford General Hospital later renamed Southend Municipal Hospital; Victoria Hospital and Balmoral Sanitorium, both in Westcliff and Shoebury Hospital, as well as Southend-on-Sea General Hospital which had been a thriving voluntary hospital since it opened in 1932.
New Yacht Club - on May 17th 1948, Thorpe Bay Yacht Club was founded by a group of enthusiastic youngsters led by Kit Hobday.
They met at his parents house “St. Helens” to form the first yacht club east of Southend pier. There were at the time only four other sailing clubs in the Borough, all west of the pier in rather restricted situations. Website: Click
Southend's People 1948 - This website encourages contributions from people who live and have lived in the Borough of Southend-on-Sea. This image is from Brewery School 1948.
Panto - The Palace Theatre this year hosted Aladdin.