New Addition for the Seafront - The Minerva Hotel was built in 1793 by a well known proprietor of barges; Abraham Vandervoord, who is buried in St John the Baptist Church graveyard. The building however was originally called 'The Great House'. It was regularly used in its early life by the Courts of the Manor of Prittlewell.
The Shrubbery - The oldest of all the parks in Southend, became privately owned in 1793 until 1883, when it was acquired by the town. It consists of merely 3 acres but provides visitors a relaxing walk through shaded paths from Clifftown Terrace down to the seafront on Western Esplanade.