Southend's Brewery Moves - Luker's Brewery was built just off High Street in 1869 through to 1870. Having moved from their original site in Brewery Road (now Southchurch Avenue).
The Cricketers is Born - One of the town's most famous pub, the Cricketers came to life on 25th March 1870. The pub over the year's had an interesting history and not just for serving beer. In the earlier 1900's the landlord at the time Alex White set-up a horse drawn fire engine housed in the rear courtyard and proving the forerunner to the town's first formalised fire service.
Milton Chapel Built - 1870 saw the arrival of the Wesleyan Chapel at the junction of Avenue and Park Road. The building would soon become the Park Road Methodist Church, and considered at the time as the town's 'greatest architectural ornaments'. It is now a listed building, and an important townscape feature being built out of Kentish Ragstone. Currently it is not used for religious purpose but owned privately.
Halfway House Built - A suitable hostelry for the consumption of food and beer was built this year, halfway between Old Southend and Shoeburyness. Originally positioned on Southchurch Beach, but with road development the site of the pub now sits alongside Eastern Esplanade.
Cambridge Town Develops - Shoebury saw the arrival in this year of the School of Artillery. As with army areas the whole infrastructure around develops too, so Shoebury had a new area named after the Duke of Cambridge (1819-1904) the Army Commander-in-Chief. The area would keep developing for another 20 years to accommodate its new military guests.
c1870 Looking up the High Street, past the thatched cottage (at the junction of Cliff Town Road); the chimney of Luker's Brewery, now the site of the new College.
Church Renovation - St Mary's in Prittlewell, underwent a major renovation. Considering its history, dating back to Saxon times there was a need to bring this central church into a new era. The work would see major roof work across the building with the arrival of the magnificent oak roof structure which can be seen today.
Southend Rugby Club Founded
St Bernard's Convent Built - Milton Road - Opened by the School Sisters of Notre Dame on July 7th 1870, and taken over by the Religieuses Bernadines from France in 1918.. The building was certified as an orphanage for fifty children in 1879 and a day school in 1889.
Public Hall Built - A much needed facility on Alexandra Street popped up in 1870, the Public Hall would host many events not least entertainment. So it was no surprise the building changed name to the Empire Theatre, tragedy struck however in 1895 when it was completely destroyed by fire. Rebuilt the theatre emerged and survived upto 2008, now it is vacant and up for sale.