A Gentlemen's Club is Born - On Wednesday 15th January 1873 at 8pm, eleven gentlemen met at Edward Barron’s house in Clifftown Parade. the purpose of their meeting was to discuss the formation of a club for “gentlemen of known respectability.” Clearly much thought had already gone in to the venture as George Lay, a newly qualified local solicitor presented to the meeting a draft set of rules - many of which still survive to this day. The club was to be named after the Princess of Wales, later Queen Alexandra, and to be known as “The Alexandra Club.” It was not until 1878 the club was to become a yacht club, in 1884 it moved to its current location on the cliffs above Western Esplanade.
Southend's First Newspaper - On 9th May 1873 Southend’s first regular weekly newspaper was published for the first time. This was the Southend Standard. Originally printed in premises in Southchurch Avenue, printing moved to purpose-built premises in Clifftown Road, known as Standard House.
Marine Park Opens - Later to house the Kursaal area, the Marine Park was opened in 1873 along with gardens and walkways. It had, in its time, cricket and football pitches, and a trotting track. Even after the Kursaal was built, a football pitch existed in the north-east area of the grounds and it was home to Southend United for a time, the entrance being from the bottom of Park Lane from 1914-1934.
Southend’s first Police station Built in Alexander Street - A much needed amenity as along with it was a court room. The town was now becoming so popular for vsiitors that naturally crime was happening. Although the compliment of the force at this time was quite minimal with no more that one sergeant and four constables, and one bicycle. It was quite common for the police to rely on the support of the army based at Shoebury in the event of any major disturbances.